iPads gain access to corporate Wi-Fi without bothering IT staff
However, demand is starting to soar for access to the enterprise wireless networks from users with consumer devices. Letting personal devices freely access enterprise wireless LANs, without putting an added burden on IT staff, is the next hot trend, and it’s behind Aerohive’s announcement today.
Aerohive’s HiveOS and HiveManager version 4.0 solve the Wi-Fi access problem – for consumer devices or any guests requiring access – by simplifying the authentication and the control of these devices with additional methods of device detection, authentication and policy enforcement.
- Making open, unsecured guest networks are a thing of the past,Aerohive now allows users to self-register for a unique Private PSK that is delivered by the HiveAP's web portal. This protects users from snooping attacks like Firesheep while not putting any additional administrative burden on IT or receptionists.
- This same capability can also be used to allow employees to get secure network access with their personal devices without requiring IT to take on the burden of supporting 802.1X configuration on the myriad of personal devices that are being connected to corporate networks.
- Administrators can modify user access rights based on the type of device in use and information gained from the web session, Active Directory (AD) authentication and/or domain membership.
- Personal MIDs can access the network with the same user credentials as their corporate devices, but may be directed to a separate network offering only Internet access and email access.
- Corporate-owned MIDs that are registered as computers in an AD domain may be given limited access to the network and available resources based on device type.
Adding Spectrum Analysis
But Aerohive’s announcement doesn’t stop with simplifying the relationship between iPads, guests and enterprise wireless networking. We are now delivering Spectrum Analysis capabilities as a software update to existing 802.11n customers, with support for full 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz spectrum analysis, time slicing access with scanning, and common signatures to identify interfering device type, such as microwaves.
Whereas users need to pay for this type of functionality with other vendors – as an expensive high-end access point or as a software license – Aerohive is offering Spectrum Analysis as a free software update to existing customers.
And as an industry first – the software enables HTML5-delivered spectrographs (graphical representation of spectrum analysis), which means it works with any device or browser including iPads and iPhones.
Reseller enablement of cloud networking services
Another industry first from Aerohive this week: Reseller enablement of cloud networking services. With this capability, we are allowing reseller partners to use Aerohive’s cloud services platform to demo, evaluate, and add additional products to their customers’ network.
Resellers can build a network, provision it and give it to the customer. Then when the customer says I want ten more locations and ten more APs, resellers can commission it. This also allows resellers to offer Managed Services without having to build a hosting center or a NOC.
Other features included in HiveOS/HiveManager 4.0:
- Aerohive’s in-AP RADIUS functionality now integrates with Library Information Systems (LIS) and allows libraries to validate Wi-Fi access against the LIS.
- Libraries can limit Wi-Fi and/or internet access based on attributes such as library member age or overdue status
- Aerohive’s Wi-Fi Planner now provides multi-level and multiple perimeter support in both the HiveManager and free online version www.aerohive.com/planner
- Access and Backhaul on the Same Radio
- HiveAP radios can now operate simultaneously as an access and a backhaul interface enabling single radio HiveAPs to create a mesh
- IP Firewall Policy Support of Domain Names
- HiveAP firewall policies now support domain names as the source and destination
- VMware PCoIP and Citrix ICA support
- HiveAP QoS and firewall policies now support these popular desktop virtualization protocols as predefined as services, enabling administrators to quickly allow or deny these services and to apply the appropriate QoS priority to unsure that devices, such as iPads, running enterprise applications utilizing VDI perform optimally.
Giving iPads and guests secure and easy access to corporate Wi-Fi, Spectrum Analysis as a free software update, and enabling resellers to use the cloud to demo, deploy and manage enterprise wireless networks – our industry is brimming with demand for all of this.
And Aerohive is here to deliver!